Wednesday, December 30, 2009

shut up louis

While I was compiling my top ten albums for 2k9 recently (as seen in Onion magazine) I came to a bit of a realization. I’m not into dance music, I’m into pop music. It just so happens that at the moment, pretty much all good pop music is influenced by some sort of dance music. Whether that record be a hip hop record or if it’s just some drum machines and synths buried in the mix. I know it’s just part of the revolving cycle of fashion in pop music’s sound (it was like this not that long ago, until The Strokes sent Daft Punk packing). But, it feels pretty much unstoppable right now, in between Lady Gaga dropping single number 6 of 312 singles off her debut album and not really any guitars in the entire US top 40. Even the Black Eyed Peas sound like Tiga now. It looks as though the only thing that’s gonna get rid of electro anytime soon is disco. But maybe, in the next couple of years a new Strokes will come along and save pop music once again and Electric Circus will be full of kids in leather jackets with long hair and I can start playing Stooges records again.

No comments:

Post a Comment